Discussions, driving and a dingo! (Yulara – part 1)

DSC00896 qwbDSC00912 web20170522_175418_resizedDSC00940 web

We are still camped at Yulara, having chosen to stay another couple of days to make the most of our time here. Let’s go over what’s been happening in our world.

We thought our night at Marla was great, having been asked to visit APY Lands. The next morning was very special too. While we were packing up the camper, we had three different people come and talk to us about The Legend’s signage and our trip.

The first lady knew about the “Black Dog”, and as Kirstine spoke with her, it emerged that the this lady’s husband had been very unwell for a few years, but finally turned the corner 18 months ago and has been doing well mentally. A personal story about an animal that “saved her husband’s life”, touched on some memories, and as is common when carers get a chance to share with each other, both our visitor and Kirstine shed a few tears and shared a hug. It is so incredibly painful and all-consuming to watch a person you love suffering with mental illness, but the support that carers provide can make a world of difference.

The next visitors turned out to be husband and wife, though they approached us separately to talk. The wife spoke about how wonderful it is to see us travelling with the kids, how she has a friend who has endured such hardship in her life that she finds it amazing that her friend can face each day. She also spoke of her own depression, and how her husband has said that it’s like waking up to a different person each day. The husband was very interested in our journey, and how we packed up the camper trailer!

We fuelled up at Marla and Paul was asked to help some people try and start their car. Some indigenous fellas needed a hand as their car wasn’t cooperating for them. Paul chatted with them while they worked, and a couple of the men admitted that they had been diagnosed with mental health problems. Paul gave them one of our cards, so that they had the number for Lifeline if they needed it. Unfortunately the attempt to jump start the car was unsuccessful, and we had to leave the guys to see what else they could try. Thankfully one lady travelling with them had a phone and was trying to organise alternate transport for them as we headed off.

We arrived at Yulara mid-afternoon and set up camp pretty quickly. We swear we set new records with each set up and pack down! It was a gorgeous evening with not a cloud in the sky, and it became easy to see why the skies around Yulara attract astronomers both professional and hobby! Paul was able to take some fantastic shots on our Sony DSLR, and it was astounding to see that a digital camera could detect more stars in the sky than our eyes! A sudden sneeze from the hill behind us had Paul grab for the Walther Pro torch that we have affectionately nicknamed “Big Bertha” – a dingo was wandering the hill behind our camp not 300m away! The kids squealed with excitement and the dingo moved off to explore other areas in search of sustenance.

Such an eventful day – Discussions, Driving and a Dingo!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s